What is our ranking methodology?
TL;DR: We rank all cryptocurrencies based on market cap, if they meet a minimum trading volume and pass our filters that prevent ranking manipulation. For price calculation we use volume-weighted averages, using data coming from hundreds of exchanges.
Ranking of cryptocurrencies
The list of all cryptocurrencies is ranked on market cap and is divided into three different tiers.
|Trading volume||Confirmed supply**|
|Tier 1*||>3 BTC||Yes|
|Tier 2||<3 BTC||Yes|
Every 60 seconds we calculate a volume-weighted average price (VWAP) of every coin.
Filters preventing manipulation
To avoid short-term manipulation of a coin’s ranking, we’ve put the following filters in place.
- Cryptocurrencies need to have a trading volume of 3 BTC during a 24 hour period.
- A price ticker gets ignored when the last price is 50x higher than the previous one.
- We need to ‘confirm’ the circulating supply
External data sources
- (De)centralized exchanges for price determination
- Block explorers for supply determination
- Community input, like coin descriptions, icons, websites, socials, etc.
There have been multiple reports of wash trading on cryptocurrency exchanges. The report from the Blockchain Transparency Institute is one of these.
We are dedicated to bringing more transparency into the cryptocurrency market. That's why we are looking for ways to filter out wash trading behavior, which results in fake volume.
If our community reports verifiable instances of wash trading on specific markets, then we will take appropriate measures against the trading markets in question.